Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Pumpkin Chocolate Panini

Arguably, I have a thing for pumpkin and chocolate. It's unusual, I admit, but if you made the pumpkin bread recipe I posted earlier, I'm positive you're a fan. I make the following recipe any time I feel that the girls aren't getting enough orange veggies in their diet. It originally comes from The Flavor Point Diet (great book!) and is "rich in antioxidant nutrients and fiber". Great quick FHE dessert. Enjoy!

Pumpkin Chocolate Panini
butter
2 slices whole grain bread
2 TBSP canned pumpkin
Ghirardelli Double Chocolate Chips (we use any kind)
Opt: 1 TBSP pecans

1. Spread butter on 1 side of each slice of bread.
2. Spread the pumpkin on the plain side of one slice, sprinkle chocolate chips, and nuts (if desired). Place the second slice on top with butter facing up.
3. Place the sandwich in a hot panini grill or a nonstick skillet over medium heat, close the grill (if using skillet, press the sandwich with a spatula), and grill for 2-3 minutes (if using skillet, turn the sandwich and press again).

3 comments:

Jenni said...

Sounds interesting.....if only I had a panini grill.

Rachel said...

You don't need a panini grill--I don't have one. I use a saute pan and a spatula. This recipe is better than it sounds, I promise.

Kara said...

This one does sound kinda different... but not too difficult, so maybe I'll try it too! I'll let you know!