Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Pumpkin Waffles with Buttermilk Syrup

This is the recipe you have all been waiting for, even if you didn't know it. The pumpkin waffles are lovely, but the piece de resistance is without question the buttermilk syrup. I think we've made the syrup 3 times in the last month. Sooo good! Oh, and a big thank-you to my lovely sister-in-law Laura Dahl who sends great recipes my way!
(There might be more pumpkin recipes to come . . . maybe!)

Batter:
2 cups flour
2 TBSP baking powder
2 TBSP cinnamon
1 TBSP sugar
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt

Mix ingredients together, then add:
4 egg yolks (save whites)
1 cup pumpkin
1 TBSP vanilla
1 1/2 cup milk
3/4 cup butter

Beat the 4 saved egg whites until stiff peaks form and fold them into the batter. Cook in waffle iron.

Buttermilk Syrup:
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup buttermilk (can substitute 1 TBSP lemon juice + 1/2 cup milk OR buttermilk powder)
1 cup sugar
1 tsp light corn syrup

Bring to a boil and take off heat. Add 1 tsp baking soda and 1 tsp vanilla. It will bubble up quite a bit, so make sure your pan is large enough. Stir until it settles.
Serve over warm pumpkin waffles. Yummy!

6 comments:

Jeannette said...

You're killing me, Smalls. I had totally forgotten about the pumpkin cheesecake (I know, I know) and now THIS? Do you realize this means my after semester goals have just switched from "work out every day" to "make every single one of these recipes". Skinny pants, you will just have to wait.

Rachel said...

Your skinny pants aren't going anywhere. Thanksgiving, however, is once a year!

gwyn said...

We usually have waffles for Sunday dinner (fancy, I know), so tonight I think they will be the pumpkin variety. I can't wait to try that syrup.

Kara said...

oooh.. another masterpiece waiting to happen! can't wait! :)

Kara said...

Wow, sooo yummy. I'm eating one right now! You are right, the syrup makes these waffles!! So fantabulous!!

Dawn said...

Rachel...you are my kind of girl!!! Thanks for stopping by my blog and telling me about these recipes...I must try all of them!!!