Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Question: Who Hangs Christmas Lights in October?

Fact: 50% of our neighbors (slight exaggeration)
Here's the deal-io: Microsoft employs a lot of people from India, and many live in our neighborhood. And every fall they celebrate Diwali, the Festival of Lights. Houses are strung with beautiful twinkle lights and glowing candles. Right now neighbors up and down the street are letting off fireworks. It's quite festive!
Four years ago, our friends Anvay and Deepti hosted a fabulous Diwali feast. Anna wore a bindi, or as we called it "Baby's First Bindi". Deepti displayed gorgeous hand-painted lamps and spoiled us with a lavish feast.

The food was delish. The lovely Deepti & Anvay are now back in India (we miss you guys!). Each year there is a huge Diwali festival at our elementary school with catered foods and lots of dancing. Perhaps someday we'll celebrate Diwali again!

p.s. In case you didn't pick up on it, we are now The Office junkies. For a Michael Scott introduction to Diwali, go here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYwsaspQ29c. For a more "academic" explanation, where else but Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diwali.

3 comments:

gwyn said...

How fun to go to a Diwali party! Wonderful food, I'm sure. I have to admit that whenever I think of Diwali, I will always think of The Office, thanks to that episode. Indian Halloween!

Karen said...

Nettie ranted about how great The Office was, so I finally gave in. I started watching it about a month ago, and now I'm all caught up. :) (Oh and I remember Anna that age, it really doesn't feel like more than a year or so ago!)

Kara said...

Thats awesome! I thought you were going to say your neighbors were putting up Christmas decorations BEFORE Halloween! Bad enough that the radio stations are already playing Christmas music... don't get me wrong, I love Christmas music, but will you let me enjoy Thanksgiving already??

Diwali sounds exciting. How fun that you have cool neighbors to teach you new traditions. Thanks for the links!