Tomorrow night A Powerful Noise opens in theatres. This documentary addresses the most marginalized group in any nation--woman and girls. This topic is near and dear to my heart. My three little girls are lucky to be born in a country that recognizes their value & in which they will have a voice. Most are not so fortunate. Please visit http://www.apowerfulnoise.org/ to see how you can add your voice and resources to helping women around the world.{Quotes taken from A Powerful Noise website}
A Powerful Noise takes you inside the lives of [three] women to witness their daily challenges and their significant victories over poverty and oppression. [This] is a meditation on the inherent potential of women to change the world.
This view of women's empowerment . . . is useful in virtually all types of development programs that help communities improve the quality of and access to water, health services, education and microfinance services {to name a few}, and those programs in which communities are guided to confront specific social injustices such as violence against women.
Working with women strategically makes good investment sense. Women, more than men, tend to parlay improvements in their own lives into the lives of their children and communities. Increases in income typically translate into greater investment in children's education and health care. Education for girls and women plays a strong role in the next generation's health and well-being. And the entire world benefits from the creativity, intelligence and effort that flower when girls and women are freed from strictures that keep them uneducated & silenced.
Want to Help? Get Started Here:
LDS Humanitarian Services
Unitus: Innovative Solutions to Global Poverty
CARE
{Any others you'd like to add?}
3 comments:
Rachel, I stumbled on your blog two nights ago I couldn't believe it! I appreciate your post.Its amazing, if you just listen to the voice that you have what a difference you can make. Emily H. (Parkcenter Boise, ID)
Emily, my long-lost friend! My email for you doesn't work anymore, you need to send me your info quick. I'm serious, I was devastated we lost touch & I'm dying to hear how you & Dan are doing! {Do you still have my email info?}
Post a Comment