Monday, March 9, 2009

bittersweet


Why is it that no matter how long I nurse my babies, I'm always a bit heartbroken when they fully wean? Each weaning has been a gentle fading away of our sweet nursing ritual: Anna at 16 months {and I, five months pregnant}. Sophia at 18 months. And now Clara, here at 20 months, nursed her last. I'd skipped a morning this weekend due to a meeting, couldn't quite bear to give up our lovely morning snuggle today, but she was interested for only a couple minutes. The time has come and she's ready. But, am I ready? Will I ever be? {Okay, yes to that last question, but a few more months would be nice!}

This to this--in the blink of an eye
{Disclaimer: She is not potty training}
One of my favorite writers calls parenthood a "heavy-hearted happiness" and I definitely feel that today. I love watching my children progress toward independence and each stage is more rewarding than the last. Yet each day that passes drains away a bit of this precious time with my young girls. I've felt lately that my two girls and a baby have become three little girls. It's hard to believe how fast this year and a half with little Clara has passed. I love her toddler self so much and I know there are even better times {and more sleep!} ahead. Yet a part of me mourns the tiny infant that used to nestle in my arms.

There's a quote from one of my favorite books that appropriately sums up my feelings today:
"God warns us not to love any earthly thing above Himself, and yet He sets in a mother's heart such a fierce passion for her babes that I do not comprehend how He can test us so" {Geraldine Brooks, Year of Wonders}.

10 comments:

Jenni said...

Oh so hard when they wean. @0 months though that is awesome - the farthest I have nursed so far is Bella at 15 months. Carson was 13 months and weaned to Honey nut cheerios - thanks to Daddy. I am holding on with this one. Still have a ways to go I hope. The time passes too fast. Love that quote! So true.

Jenni said...

Whoops that is supposed to say 20 months.....hee hee

Connie said...

They definitely grow up toofast don't they? But that's great that you nursed your kids for so long. Mine all lost interest long before then. It was too much of a struggle to keep them interested and wasn't worth the fight.

Your daughters are all beautiful by the way. I love when you post pictures of them.

Julie Smith said...

I know what you mean. It's funny because when I had Chad and Aaron, I didn't really like nursing, but for some reason it was so hard to give it up with the girls. They do grow fast. Amber and I looked through cake books together yesterday. Where did my baby go?

Rachel Anne said...

Isn't it hard when you realize that a stage of your child's life is lost forever. The only thing that makes it bearable is knowing that new and exciting adventures await you as they grow.

Clara is getting so big by the way. I just love the picture of her on the potty.

gwyn said...

I have to say thank you for your sweet post. I have been almost longing lately for my little nursing addict to finally be done - sleeping all night, Daddy putting him to bed - I almost get dizzy thinking about the freedom! So it was good to remember that I should treasure this special and fleeting time with my little one. There is nothing that quite compares that warm little head nestling so contentedly into you... even at 2 am.
I hope you are coping well with the change. Knowing you nursed her to 20 months should be a great comfort - what a triumph! And so good to remember that each phase has it's joys, especially with sweet girls like yours. I think you're like me, though - it's always hard to see each phase end and a new one begin. We are just too darn sentimental! :)

Matt and Joanna said...

i totally know what you mean. as hard of a time that i have i still love it and can't imagine not nursing my sweet baby.

Elana said...

Soo sweet! You're right they aren't babies any more! I wish Sam had nursed longer - he decided he was done at 6 months, but he still loves snuggling with mommy more than anything! I guess we still have a few more years to enjoy that much right?

Dahl Family said...

I agree with everyone. Sweet post. I remember being so thankful that a friend warned me how emotional it is to wean even when the mom is ready. They do grow up too fast, and I think that when my oldest is 3!!! I LOVE that beautiful quote at the end of your post. It is so true!!!

Kara said...

Thank you for the beautiful post that pulled at my heart strings! It is so hard to watch your babies grow up. I long for the days that my almost 10 year old was 2! I was just thinking about that today! He was so sweet... so were my others. And more recently, I have had a hard time watching my little Ava grow up, but she (and all my kids for that matter) still love to snuggle, so its not so bad. Plus it is so fun to have actual conversations with my older kids. :o) But it is a sad thought to think that when I am done nursing Mia, I may be done forever! I have been thinking about that a lot lately, contemplating myself when that time will come.
You know, I remember dreading getting up in the middle of the night with my older kids when they were babies, but as I had more, I realized some of my most precious and love filled memories have been nursing and rocking my babies to sleep in the middle of the night (or the middle of the day). I feel so lucky to have enjoyed all 5 of mine for these last almost 10 years!
Thank you for sharing your beautiful thoughts and that wonderful quote!