Tuesday, March 10, 2009

not your granny's website

I adore morning church. Mostly because afterwards I get to take a luxurious nap while Clara naps. However, I wanted to devise a special Sunday quiet time for my two older girls. {I had to listen to bible records growing up, but that is a story for another day . . . .}

So I've begun to set up Sunday Stations based on this story I read in the LDS Friend magazine. Chris is around to monitor {sleep} on the sofa as the girls rotate among the Church-themed stations. Last Sunday we had a puzzle corner, an art table, a game table, and computer games. Now, the only reason I included the last station is because of my recent amazing discovery!!

Take yourself over to The Friend website right now {click on link, or go to http://www.lds.org/ choose magazines, then Friend}. I adore what they've done with their website, as it is now geared toward kids visiting! Our girls have begun to ask for computer games {pbs site, my little ponies} and so finding that The Friend is competing for their attention is great. They've had a blast playing the little games, doing the online coloring pages, listening to the songs & stories & slideshows. I'm going to limit it to Sundays so they anticipate using it. Such a find!
I'll go take that nap now, thank you very much.

10 comments:

amyraye said...

so cool. i had no idea. my kids will love it. thanks for the tip.

Melissa said...

I want to hear more about your stations. Be very specific. Or any other ideas!!! I am looking for activities for them so that I can watch conference too.

Rachel Anne said...

Thanks so much for the idea. I never would have thought that the church had computer games for kids. Grant is very excited that the computer will no longer be off limits on Sunday.

As for suggestions, have you ever heard of Scripture Scouts? They are cds that have scripture stories and fun music to go along with the stories. My kids love listening to the cds on the way to church and know the scripture stories better than ever. You might want to check it out for one of your stations.

gwyn said...

How great is that?! Eve and I read that article on Sunday Stations, too, and have wanted to implement it. For us, though, it is BEFORE church because we have the dreaded 1:00 schedule. 1:00 church, ruiner of all babies' nap schedules! I would never have thought of checking out The Friend website, but that will definitely become a Sunday treat around here. We've had a little too much "We don't get to do anything fun on Sunday!" around here lately, so your post is very timely! Thanks, Rachel!

Jenni said...

Very cool. We tried out the website and love it! Thanks for posting about it. The kids love it!

Elana said...

Great idea Rachel, I totally want to try it this Sunday!

Dahl Family said...

We don't need this now, but I'm sure we will in years to come (as of right now Alex loves watching The Mountain of the Lord and Finding Faith in Christ on Sunday . . . funny that those entertain him, I know.) I've already filed away on my computer the article, your post, and Rachel Anne's suggestion. I'm set!!! Thanks!!!

Holly said...

Emma is slowly beginning to want to use the computer, so this is great info. Thanks for the tip!

Kara said...

wow, amazing! I will have to check that out for Sundays! What a smart girl you are to have little "stations" Chris and I just take turns napping while the kids watch TV most of the day.... so bad!!! I'll have to try this new idea... thank you Rachel!

Angie said...

Sunday Stations! I read that with my oldest boy...his favorite part was the computer games...but we couldn't find "cool" Sunday appropriate stuff...he will be excited. So will Rob and I...afternoon naps again.

Okay, and the family picture is so cute (on top). I just love your oldest daughter's expression. I swear I've seen that same expression on you!!