Saturday, March 28, 2009

come listen to a prophet's voice

So General Conference is in a week, and can I tell you how excited I am? How refreshed and encouraged I feel after each General Conference weekend? For me, General Conference is a festive family-centered mini-retreat. Food is important to our tradition. We always have special breakfasts, like cinnamon French toast and strawberries or German pancakes. Fruit and fruit dip. You get the idea.

Then begins the actual watching of Conference. I must admit, the last few years rated exceptionally low in the "what I got out of conference" category. I had to rely on my trusty Ensign to show up a month later so I could get the full impact of the talks. However, last Conference, Chris and I had a wonderful time relaxing and listening to the talks with minimal interruptions.

What has changed? Well, for one, our girls are getting older. They tend to entertain themselves better. But the other essential factor was that I prepared them for Conference. We read
this fabulous article in The Friend magazine about a family who made a conference reverence tent. We followed their lead by learning about King Benjamin in Family Home Evening and then setting up a tent on Conference weekend. They LOVED it! Even Clara snuggled in quietly just to be with her older sisters. {I just found this King Benjamin-themed FHE lesson which I will borrow from this time around.}

My second big hit last time was a Conference bingo {don't worry, does not include the calling out of "bingo!"}. You can find these in conference packets or personalize it for your children, which I did. Ours included pictures of the Savior, Thomas S. Monson, the temple, a choir singing, and a girl praying. Then we played "reverse bingo": I put very small goodies on each picture and when anything was mentioned or done {choir, prayer, the Prophet talking, the Savior's name, the temple or an actual image on the screen} they got to eat a goodie. It was entirely up to them to listen and they did GREAT. They were so excited that they'd yell out, "It's the Prophet!" or "She's talking about Jesus!" This way they were entirely aware of the general flow of conference {pray, sing, prophet recognition}.

As the girls waited to get a bingo treat, they worked on a fun Conference packet, coloring & cutting. You can Google "general conference packet" and up will pop a list of fun, homemade activities. This year I've selected my favorite age-appropriate activities & put them into colored folders for a customized packet {thanks Amber for the idea!}. Of course you can always rely on The Friend magazine, as my dad did, as a resource to make a fun little conference packet {they have activities galore to print}.

My favorite links this time:
SugarDoodle: big list of conference-related activities
2009 List of GC packets
And, my FAVORITE packet, even though it's for fall 2008

As the girls get older they'll be able to internalize the messages more, but for now my primary goal is to get them excited for the cultural & spiritual traditions of Conference. What are some of your General Conference traditions? I'd love to hear!

9 comments:

Melissa said...

Thank You!! And my baby isn't so much a baby anymore. She sat through The Testaments today...so I think we might be ok. I just need to make sure she has her blanket and her baby. I love the tent idea too. Ethan loves to sit in his tent and we rarely get it out.

roselxx said...

Even though I have never experience this kind of activity, it sounds so much fun! I wish my family also had this sort of tradition! It's great!

Amber said...

Rachel, thank you so much for your inspired post! I had begun searching online for ideas for conference and immediately my eyes began to droop and I decided I was too tired to sift through it all. When I saw your blog, your recommendations felt like a cool breeze in my heart! I found the perfect packet for our family for this year's conference and am feeling much less overwhelmed (Friday is Harrison's birthday, Max is attending his first birthday party, and Dallin and Haven are in the school talent show.) Saturday, besides conference, Haven has been invited to a birthday party as well. I am feeling spread pretty thin this week. Thanks for sharing your findings and blessing my life!

Holly said...

Things like this is what makes being a mom great! I love trying to make things exciting for Emma. She's finally old enough to maybe start listening (at least a little). I've seen these kinds of packets for years and finally have the opportunity to use them. I'm excited. Oh, and for the omelets we'll make sunday morning. Yum!

Elana said...

Rachel you have the best ideas!! I think we should try that with the girls on Sunday - I think they would all have a great time together. And I think they are all old enough to do quiet activities together now (after they've had time to run around and play for a while :), so then we can all actually listen to conference too!

Minwimm said...

I love sugardoodle. What a great website. I have been used this to help in the primary w singing and sharing time often. It also has great activities for activities days girls.

We did conference packets last time too but I plan on revving up the excitement a little this time to keep them interested for longer. Bingo is a great idea.

Dan and Emily said...

Rachel great idea where did you get the tent?

Papa Bear said...

I love going to the byu.tv website and watching all the sessions speaker by speaker on demand. BTW you can also find some amazing scripture discussions there as well!

Kara said...

Wow, I am impressed to say the least. I guess I have been prepared in conferences past, but this conference, trying to get the kids to listen was a joke! I think Cameron listened to a few talks, but not any of the other kids, I just didn't prepare. I have done the conference packets in years past, but your tent idea sounds great, I will have to check it out! I think thats a great idea to do an FHE the Monday before, so the kids can realize WHY we moms and dads love listening to conference so much. Thanks for all the helpful hints for next time! ;) (thats what I get for not keeping up on reading blogs!!)