If you have an emerging reader, go to your library and get these books now. If you have two young readers, as I do at my house, better yet--they can each read a character.Simple & hilarious, these are our favorite readers by far. I've heard that teaching kids to read aloud with proper intonation & emotion is difficult. Gerald & Piggie make it a snap with their hilarious expressions, huge print for shouting, tiny print for sad voices, etc. Our girls' faces {and voices} mirror theirs as they read. It's so much fun. Who knew stick characters could be so expressive! Yet another reason to love Mo Willems.
8 comments:
Gotta go! I'm off to the library. :)
We LOVE Mo Willems at our house, too. Our favorite is Knufflebunny. And the pigeon ones. He's awesome.
Thanks for the suggestion Rach. I have been trying to focus more on moving forward with Grant's reading, and that might be a fun book to try.
Isn't it so exciting to see how the world opens up to them once they can understand the written language. Grant was so proud that he could type a sentence on the computer, "Grant and Lauren had a pup." I had to Help him with "Lauren", but he did the rest on his own and couldn't wait to print it out and hang it in his room. Fun stuff.
We are in the middle of a blizzard right now and expecting to have 8-10 inches by the end of the day. Days like these I try to fast forward to our fun trip to Seattle. Can't wait to see you and your cute family in person. Have a great day!
Kate and Bekah have both the Knuffle Bunny books memorized. Mo Willems cracks me up! We love all the Willems books, but we haven't seen these yet, we'll definitely check em out! Do you guys like the Sandra Boynton books? Sarah is starting to memorize her books now. :)
We will have to check these out. I just saw today in Isabella's book order that they have There Is a Bird on your Head! and the pigeon books. Are any of those good? We have not yet discovered Mo Willems yet......We read a lot of Frankin, Curious George, and Froggie stories right now. But always looking for new fun books. Thanks for the post Rachel. :)
I don't have an emerging reader, but if these books are as fun as you say they are I'm sure they'll be great for read aloud, yes?
So, I just went on a Mo Willems request spree on our library website. Have you ever heard of his book "Time to PEE!"?
Yes to Jenni, we love the pigeon books! There Is a Bird on Your Head is one of the Gerald & Piggie books, so funny. Laura, I have seen the Time to Pee book but haven't read it. Tell me if you recommend. I'm sure it's hilarious.
We actually had an immense overdue fine for keeping There Is a Bird on Your Head for too long. But so worth it! Eleanor insisted on Knuffle Bunny for her bedtime story for about a year and we never really got sick of it, so that certainly says something. We're all for Mo Willems here! He really has a charming, earnest style that kids can really relate too. And a book that can entertain a 3 year old AND a mom is a treasure, indeed.
Post a Comment