Sunday, February 22, 2009

move over, mr. darcy

My last class at BYU was a graduate seminar taught by the charming Nick Mason, who led us through a {sometimes uncomfortable} exploration of evolving social conscience as represented in literature . Class conflict was present in all the mid-19th C novels we read. Emerging industrialization, union workers, the disappearance of artisans & the growing middle class were creating unprecedented tensions.

Enter the intelligent, unheralded Elizabeth Gaskell, whose book Mary Barton introduced me to mill workers and unions and child labor of the 1800s. Fast forward to the present, in which I checked out the BBC drama North and South {based on a Gaskell novel} this past weekend and watched it obsessively. And fell in love--not only with John Thornton as portrayed by Richard Armitage {soooo hot!} but with the gorgeous cinematography. There is the powerful parallel story of tension between mill master and employee, cultured middle-class English girl from the South and rough-around-the-edges entrepreneur from the North. Such great acting. {And, did I mention how hot John Thornton is?}

Elements of the story resemble Pride & Prejudice, mostly in the love story. There are the two strong personalities that clash, the woman having a mistaken bad impression of the man, they both having to overcome personal pride to acknowledge their "simmering, restrained passion" for each other. John Thornton is definitely a Darcy-esque brooder {swoon}. But while P&P is a lighter social satire {witty, explores human nature but with only a narrow slice of British society}, North and South is gritty. It explores survival and class conflict and has more serious social and political themes. Such as the ones we discussed in my final graduate seminar.

I've put this Elizabeth Gaskell novel on hold at the library and can't wait to read it, but this is all really to say: Ladies, do yourselves a favor and watch this 4+ hour movie. You will fall completely in love with Mr. Thornton.

And, you're welcome. You can thank me later.

14 comments:

Lisita said...

Will do, thanks Rach!

Jeannette said...

Did you by any chance hear about N&S from Karen? She raved about it to me and I've had it sitting on my Blockbuster list for a couple of months now. I'm thinking I need to move it to the top!

Rachel said...

No, I've had it on my library holds for a long time now. (After I saw Wives & Daughters, another great BBC masterpiece also by Elizabeth Gaskell--but N&S is THE best!). Nettie, move it to the top NOW. :)
p.s. See if you can find "Delores" mentioned in it!

Rachel Anne said...

I can't wait to watch it. I'm still desperate to watch Persuasion. I also just finished reading "Year of Wonders" and really enjoyed it. It was definitely a page-turner, so I had many late nights where I couldn't put it down. I look forward to rading "These is my words" as soon as I have a chance to pick it up at the library. Thanks for the suggestions

By the way I love your new blog layout. The prince, princesses, and happily ever after idea is very cute!

Jenni said...

I agree your new blog layout is very adorable. This movie sounds wonderful. I must say I have a hard time finding the time to pick up a book and read but I am starting to feel inspired by all your book / movie talk. Would a man enjoy North & South? My hubby tends to like Masterpiece theater movies.....

Rachel said...

Hi Jenni, yes, I think N&S would be enjoyable for a man to watch. Chris watched it and liked it. As much as I think Jane Austen novels are for everyone, I know guys can have a hard time with the movies (so many balls & swooning & female chatter). But this Gaskell movie has broader themes and has many scenes that feature only the men.

Alicia said...

Rachel I am so happy to find someone else who has fallen in love with this movie. In fact after our little conversation in music class I just had to watch it again! Last night I watched the whole thing again. I think I will post about it too. Seriously, anyone who hasn't seen this is missing out! Joel even watched it with me. Is it too embarrassing to admit that I had to rewind and re-watch the ending? It was too good to just see it once!

Elana said...

I'm planning on watching it this weekend Rachel! And if it's as much like Pride and Prejudice as you say, then I'm sure we'll have LOTS to talk about later!

Dahl Family said...

Okay, like everyone else, you have me convinced, and I have already put the movie on hold at the library. (I'm #30 in line - agh!)

However, I have to ask - am I the only one that found the title of your post sacrilegious?!?!? Hello! MUST I remind you of "the look" that Colin Firth gives Lizzy as she plays the piano, as she admits her feelings have changed, etc?!?!? Yes, Rachel Louise, I am shocked. YOU of all women!

Rachel said...

Don't judge me, Laura Louise! Yes, the fact that as a fellow-Jane Austen lover I have turned my back on her romantic icon (movie version) is saying a LOT. I still have feelings for Mr. Darcy (Colin Firth AND Matthew Macfadyen) but I'm sorry, Richard Armitage is just so perfect as John Thornton. Want to talk about "the look"? Wow.
p.s. If you need to borrow our Netflix login to watch it on demand, let me know. :)

gwyn said...

Not to blow off Richard Armitage, but Nick Mason was certainly very charming, wasn't he, Rach? :)

gwyn said...

Yes, me again! I should really think my whole comment through before I post so I can get it all out in one comment. So I just looked up Richard Armitage on the IMDB and I have seen him in something else! He is indeed hot, you are not even kidding! I'm off to peruse my library's DVD collection, so I think I'll spare you another comment. :)

Rachel said...

Yes Gwynnie, Nick Mason was a bit of treat! Didn't we all have a bit of a crush on him? :) Tell me when you watch N&S, I'm excited to share the love!

theriddle said...

Rachel I also LOVE North & South. I think the characters deal with much more intense issues than Lizzy and Darcy do in Pride & P.