I love the smell of dirt. The realization hit me this weekend as I dug around in my garden. I was thinking about growing up in sunny New Mexico and how I still love the dry dusty smell of desert mountains. I thought about the beach and digging my toes into sun-warmed sand and inhaling the scent of ocean and earth. And I realized I also love the musty, foresty smell of the rich black dirt in our cozy garden. Who knew dirt had so many fragrances?
post edit: Wednesday is Earth Day, people! So go hug yourself some dirt. Or smell it, lie down in it, and roll in it. Just, as Kara said, please don't eat it. I know it's tempting. Especially if you're pregnant. {And check out the Disney Earth movie released tomorrow. I can't wait to watch it with the girls!}
5 comments:
As long as you don't eat the dirt, Rachel, its ok. ;) i love the smell of dirt too. But even more I love the smell of the air, after it rains... especially in AZ. And the sunsets and the smell of AZ dirt, too! You need to come down and visit sometime!
Thanks for your sweet comment on Lucky... we do love her, even though she's kind of a pain in the butt. and I have really enjoyed getting to know you and your sweet family in the blogging world as well!! :o)
p.s. there is a lady in China that eats dirt, just to let you know... she started out by smelling all kinds of dirt and planting a garden, and then one day she tasted dirt on her carrots and she just couldn't get enough. Now she eats all kinds of dirt, China dirt, New Mexico dirt, even Seattle dirt sometimes... beware!! ;o) lol
I didnt know that Chinese lady tho~~~ That's kinda cool!
Looks like you guys were having so much fun! I always love this girls adventure stuff, you know, so sweet!
They r growing so big~~~
Umm! Especially after a thunderstorm.
Kara & Julie--yes, I remember the awesome smell after Southwest thunderstorms. I'd love to come visit both of you! By the way, your comment cracked me up, Kara. Hmm, now that I've realized how much I love dirt I'd better beware when I'm next pregnant! Cravings! It'll be either dirt or cookies, I can tell you that. ;)
Okay, then you're NOT pregnant? I wasn't sure whether the eating dirt comment was a subtle way of making an announcement.
The soil in your pictures looks very good--I'm jealous. Do you have to do anything to it to get it like that, or is it naturally that dark and lovely?
Post a Comment