Monday, September 8, 2008

Girls Talk Too Much




Fairy Ball 2008

So says Peter Pan in Disney's cartoon version. And, so I overheard my girls saying to each other just the other day! The first time my girls watched Peter Pan, I almost leapt up and covered their ears at this point--but it would have been too late. Overreaction? Maybe. But, when you have little girls you will suddenly become ultra-sensitive to even seemingly-benign Disney media. (The girls also run around singing, "Why is the Red Man pink?" Eek.)

My BYU roommate made an excellent, not to mention hilarious, argument on her blog regarding bombardment by Disney princesses. I’ve decided the stories are a good opportunity for discussion about what girls could do instead, as well as a chance to read some fab princess tales (see here and here). I do owe the Disney princesses something. Anna potty-trained in one day due to the encouragement of smiling princess stickers. And, the girls have enjoyed hours of healthy imaginative play based on none else but their beloved princesses.

8 comments:

Dahl Family said...

Ha!Ha! I enjoyed your old roommates comments about the different princesses . . . it seems like most of them are okay. :) Of course, as you might assume by Ken's nickname for me, I think every girl should be treated like a princess in that they should be honored and treated well! :) Did the fairy ball happen again, or are those pictures from when Chris to Anna? If they're new, I want to hear about this fairy ball!

Rachel said...

I absolutely agree, every girl/woman should be treated like a princess . . . just not a Disney princess! Yes, these are pictures from back in Feb. The girls can't wait for the next Fairy Ball!

Papa Bear said...

Isn't it nice to have a little royality in the house?

Ken Dahl said...

"....girls could do instead"? What's this? You're already indoctrinating them with your Feminist, Left-wing, prophetess views?????

Rachel! Come on! Those movies are teaching good "traditional" values that have been the moral fiber of our society.

Lisita said...

Oh cute, Sophia got to go to the ferry ball this year? How fun!

Rachel said...

I knew I could count on you for a laugh, Ken. Thanks! :)

Jenni said...

Interesting comments by your friend. I will say that Cinderella is the only princess movie my daughter likes to watch because it is not very scary. She has a hard time with anything dark in a movie. How fun to have so many princesses.....mine never wants to dress up like a princess I always hated that and wished she did but maybe now that's not such a bad thing. Definitely food for thought. What is this fairy ball? It sounds too cute.

Karen said...

I think the MOST frustrating thing I heard my girls repeat was when a neighbor boy said that pink was a girl color. I find myself repeating over and over that no color is just for boys or just for girls. Oye!