So began the Mommies’ Science Camp. Oh, the adventures we had with six kids under the age of five! We learned about farms and animals at Farrel-McWhirter Park. We traveled to the moon in cardboard rockets and held balloon rocket races and ate astronaut ice cream. We even blasted off two “real” rockets with the dads (and lost them). We learned all about H2O and its stretchy skin and why we love it in every form (even rain). My personal favorite—BUGS: We let ladybugs crawl all over us and watched our Painted Lady Butterflies grow from caterpillar to chrysalis to butterfly. My girls put on wings and danced as butterflies, but I won’t claim that Amy’s boys did the same. And of course, what science camp would be complete without a visit (or two) to the Pacific Science Center.
As summer ended, it came time to let our Painted Lady Butterflies free. The girls lifted them tenderly and watched them flutter off in the breeze. I saw tears in Anna’s eyes. She told me, “Mommy, I feel a little happy and a little sad.” It’s in the spirit of this sweet girl that I dedicate this poem:
Hurt No Living Thing
Hurt no living thing;
Ladybird, nor butterfly,
Nor moth with dusty wing,
Nor cricket chirping cheerily,
Nor grasshopper so light of leap,
Nor dancing gnat, nor beetle fat,
Nor harmless worms that creep.
Christina Rossetti
Hurt no living thing;
Ladybird, nor butterfly,
Nor moth with dusty wing,
Nor cricket chirping cheerily,
Nor grasshopper so light of leap,
Nor dancing gnat, nor beetle fat,
Nor harmless worms that creep.
Christina Rossetti
9 comments:
What a great idea, Rachel! I love reading about the things you're doing. I think that would be such a great experience to have as a mom.
Also, thanks for giving me my weekly Rossetti dose!
Wow you have a lot of ideas like that. This is so awesome. You need to share more so I can copy!! jk.
You are such an amazing mom! I love that you did that with your kids. I wish I was more creative like that with my kids. They would love it. I may have to steal that idea for next summer.
What awesome ideas, you are the best mom ever!
Being a mom reminds me of being a teacher. Sharing ideas is essential to survival! All of you are so funny; you've each inspired me to be a better mom in different ways. And, everything's more fun (and easier) when you have another mom friend to go in on it.
p.s. Alisa--didn't you do your master's thesis on Rossetti? Or undergrad . . . I know there is some connection between the two of you. :)
Wow I am impressed! When you mentioned a little science camp when we talked last week I didn't realize you organized it yourself. Your girls are so blessed to have such a great mom who is so invested in them. Take care and keep the postings coming.
Love,
Rachel
Ohhh sounds like fun. Kate went to a summer Science Camp that her preschool teacher did, but I never thought about doing one myself. It's a great idea, and it would save me some money! :)
Um, can I enroll Alex in your science camp next summer? He would have a blast!
You are a natural. Will you come be our guest lecturer and tour guide for homeschool science this year? I love your fun ideas!
Post a Comment