Monday, May 18, 2009

my mother's bread, part III

One of these days I'll write an Ode to the Bosch . . .
. . . but for now can I say how much I love my three baking experts?



And now, here's a bread recipe that I've been loving lately. It's one of my favorites because it's super easy and super yummy.

Easy Whole Wheat Bread
2 1/2 tsp instant yeast, or 1 packet active dry yeast dissolved in 2 TBSP water
1 1/3 cups lukewarm water
1/4 cup vegetable oil (i use olive or canola)
1/4 cup honey, molasses, or maple syrup
3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup nonfat dried milk
1 1/4 tsp salt

In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients and stir till the dough starts to leave the sides of the bowl. Transfer the dough to a lightly-greased surface, oil your hands, and knead it for 6-8 minutes, or until it becomes smooth and supple. {I do all the above in my Bosch mixer, which you can do if you have a mixer, food processor, or bread machine.} Transfer the dough to a lightly-oiled bowl, cover the bowl, and allow the dough to rise until puffy, though not necessarily doubled in bulk.

Transfer the dough to a lightly-oiled work surface and shape it into an 8-inch loaf. Place the loaf in a lightly-oiled 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pan, cover the pan loosely with lightly-oiled plastic wrap {sometimes i use a warm, damp dish towel} and allow the bread to rise for about 1 hour, or until it's crowned about 1 inch above the edge of the pan. A finger pressed into the dough should leave a mark that rebounds slowly.

Bake the bread in a preheated 350 F-degree oven for about 40 minutes, tenting it lightly with aluminium foil after 20 minutes. Test it for doneness by removing it from the pan and thumping it on the bottom {it should sound hollow}. Remove the bread from the oven, and cool it on a wire rack before slicing. Enjoy!

10 comments:

Teri said...

You are an amazing mom! I am trying to be inspired, rather than overwhelmed, by your awesome example. :)

Lisita said...

So darling, MG would love making these. How long do you cook the bears. Are the decorations raisins? You are the cutest mom!!

Rachel said...

TeriAnne, you are the one who inspires me. And yes, overwhelms me! Homeschool, anyone? I find as a mother it's so easy to focus on what everyone else is doing well & compare that to what we're not doing well. {I guarantee my house is usually a complete disaster zone. I'd much rather bake than clean!}
Lisa: You just up the temp and halve the cooking time for rolls, so about 375 for 20 minutes.

Diagnose Rachel said...

Dear Rachel D,

My nanny got me into love letters. And sometimes hate letters. So we started a blog. Want to join? Then you can share you love for bosch (which I share)

Love,
Rachel R

DearILoveYouLove.blogspot.com

gwyn said...

What a great looking recipe! I love any recipe that has the word "easy" in it. And I am longing for a Bosch. Are the truly as magical as they seem?

Holly said...

I can't wait to try your recipe. And if you ever do write an ode to your Bosch, I'm sure I'll second everything you say. I love mine. Seriously, they are the best for bread!

roselxx said...

How cute!
Thx 4 the recipe! I would definately try to make one myself!

Matt and Joanna said...

Oh, how I wish I had a Bosch. I would trade in my Kitchen Aide for one right now!

Stephanie said...

My kids all want to make "bear bread" now like their cousins. Thanks for always inspiring me! Love ya.

Minwimm said...

What a fun idea. Hope you don't mind me stealing it.